Welcome to Chirpy Cardinal.We are a Stanford NLP research group focussed on open-domain dialogue.
Our research is informed by hundreds of thousands of people chatting with our bot Chirpy Cardinal via the Alexa Prize, a university competition to advance conversational AI.
In collaboration with Open Virtual Assistant Lab (OVAL), we have open-sourced our award-winning socialbot from Alexa Prize 2020.
- Stanford AI Lab Blog: Inside Chirpy Cardinal: Stanford’s Open-Source Social Chatbot that Won 2nd place in the Alexa Prize
- Stanford HAI: How to Create Better Chatbot Conversations
- Forbes: Talking Machines: Who Won This Year’s Alexa Prize?
- Amazon.science: “This technology will be transformative in ways we can barely comprehend” - includes interviews with faculty advisor Chris Manning, team leads Ashwin Paranjape and Abigail See, and other participants.
- Let’s Talk AI Podcast: Abi and Ashwin discuss their experience of the Alexa Prize, lessons learned, and future paths.
In July 2020, Chirpy Cardinal won 2nd place (of 10 teams) in the finals of the Alexa Prize Grand Challenge 3.
To find out more about our bot, read our system paper, Neural Generation Meets Real People: Towards Emotionally Engaging Mixed-Initiative Conversations.
Alternatively, you can watch our overview presentation:
Check back for updates!